Reflection

UI

The UI went through quite alot of development from it’s first designs. It had really improved from the past designs but still kept to the original idea of the blueprint. Just as a blueprint, this was not working very well on it’s own so I added ‘workshop’ style additions to it like the bookcase and items. This improved the design to a point, however, I feel towards the last design the screen became very busy and would have been better with a couple less buttons.

The main thing I wished I could have implemented but just did not have the knowledge or time, was the dynamic touch gestures that I wanted in certain places in the game such as combining. This was a main part of my original design but unfortunately wasn’t feasible in the time.

Code

This was my first time coding and I have come a very long way in the months of making this game. I started by watching my tutor create the first build and learning how to use the code that he created. I then would try to adapt the code or do similar things that helped me to learn how the code worked. Later in the last month of game making I was able to create code easily and was able to understand how to learn new elements of code on my own.
I am happy with the much cleaner code that is written in the later versions than in the first versions.

However I would have liked to have included the ability to see what mission parameters the ticks and crosses at the launch were linked to. However this would have needed a complete redesign of the assessment code that I did not have time for.

Learned Code Techniques:

  • If Statements
  • Value[]
  • For Loops
  • Dictionaries
  • Lists
  • Bools
  • Randomisation
  • Animator
  • Audio Source
  • UI Text
  • OnMouseDown/Up
  • IE Numerator
  • Instantiation and Destroy
  • DoNotDestroyOnLoad

Iconography

I am happy with my method of icon creation and their testing ability. The many redesigns helped me to create icons that were more recognisable to a general audience. This was one of the most successful parts of the game. People responded very positively to both the blueprint and realistic icons.
For this I also learned a new program using InkScape, a vector drawing program. I found this quite challenging at first but it made my icons much more flexible with vector drawings.

Design

The Game design I feel was the least developed as it took a backseat to make sure the game was made on time. The basis was designed with a strong mechanic that withstood the whole game. Using a sort of simplified logic for the combinations, the original design was vastly simplified to make the game possible in the time. Additional materials and more logical items were removed which could be added in later to make a more long term playable game.
The game play was also simplified in the placement of the modules where they were supposed to be powered by generators giving another mechanic to the story.
My original idea of a completely simplified game with no words was found to be to difficult this time, but I don’t think it detracted from the final game.

What could be done in the future:

  • Ticks and crosses by the mission parameter they are associated with
  • Unlocking more Materials to create new modules or Lvl 2 modules
  • A screen simplification
  • Touch gestures
  • More Marketing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *